2/15/2005

Oblivious

Sunday I saw Wilco at the Alabama Theater. I am in love with Wilco. Great music, great stage presence and two grammy's to prove it. I do not find it at all strange that though they have been around for about 10 years give or take, I only just heard of them a couple of months ago. I am usually oblivious to the best music. That is, until a friend comes along and says "hey idiot why the hell aren't you listening to this?" By all accounts, I should be a music nazi. My mom says I sang before I could talk. I played the flute for 7 years in school. The piano for 2 years. I even went to community college on a voice scholarship for about a year. I should be searching through stacks of rare demo's on 7 in. vinyl released by bands that no one in Birmingham but the music nazis have ever heard of as I type. Alas, I do not. I'm not sure why I take music for granted. My worst hell on earth would be to go deaf. (Outside of anything happening to Angelbaby.) I do listen to the radio. But generally speaking, a band has to be out for about 5 to 10 years before I deem them worthy to purchace a CD. Anyway, Wilco and I are together now, and that's all that matters.

2 comments:

Kevin Church said...

This is what happens when you work with major label artists. Bands are no longer given freedom to record an album as they would like to. There has to be the "radio single" and the "song we can put on SMALLVILLE" and "the song for that commercial."

Outside of very few artists, the music I buy tends to be on smaller labels where the band can work out a tracklisting and make what they want. Wilco and The Flaming Lips are two of the very few bands that could go, record an album, and hand it back and say "No, really, that's it. We did all the work."

American record labels do not think long term. They think about securing a few spots here and there and then leaving the band high and dry if they can't make them immediate (or within a year) smashes.

Irish Geisha said...

Well said SuperActionKevin!

Feeling much better HemisphereDancer. We can totally make out now.