10/27/2005

Riding the Mood Swing.

Twice I have been mis-diagnosed with depression. The first time, I had gone to the doctor and told him-"I cry every day and I don't know why." He then asked if I had been sleeping well and when I told him no, he wasted no time before he started writing me a prescription for anti-depressants and one for sleeping pills. The drugs never made much of a difference. (Unless you count the 10lbs I gained.) Instead, I found that as soon as I signed the divorce papers all of my symptoms just disappeared. (Along with the extra weight I had gained.) The second time I was wrongly accused of being depressed: I thought I was loosing my mind and I decided to seek,ahem... Counseling. Week one, the diagnonsense was of course depression. By week two, my counselor actually used the words- post traumatic stress syndrome. I don't know how much I buy into that label but now that I am aware that being stressed out makes me look and act in a way that mimics the symptoms of depression, I pay closer attention to possible causes of my mood swings. Today I was in a rotten mood all day and I had no tangible explanation. That is until I started to explain it to someone else and I realized that the "jam band" music we have been listening to has really been taking it's toll. There is a reason only hippy stoners enjoy that kind of music. Jam band music = downer. With that said, for the sake of my mental health and yours, the only solution is to ban all jam band music everywhere. Therefore I am asking everyone to sign my comment section and have everyone you know to sign as a petition to end the Jam Band Depression. Thanks for your support.

2 comments:

prettyhelmet said...

death to the jam band! although, if they continue to inspire Ben & Jerry's to make such wonderful treats such as "Phish Food" then i don't know...you can always not listen to jam bands.

Kenneth said...

I hate the Dead. And Phish. If I never head any of their music again for the rest of my life, I'd be thrilled.

There, I said it.

I'm with U, Irish.