2/17/2005

All Grown Up.

I still don't much think of myself as a grown-up. It seems like just yesterday I was ditching school to hang out at the arcade. Turning 19 was hardly a milestone since I do not smoke. By the time I turned 21, I had become a bible beating, Mormon, Sunday school teacher to 4 yr olds. Getting wasted was the last thing on my mind and so 21 to me, was just another birthday. Yes, I have a child. But with the number of teen mothers out there, I simply cannot view giving birth as the definition of womanhood. Getting married didn't seem so grown up when we came home to an apartment that looked like it had been decorated by a bunch of punk rock squatters. And let's face it, divorce is always childish no matter how you slice it. Today, I felt like a grown up. It happened as I was walking Angelbaby to the bus stop this morning. Before we got there, the older kids that ride her bus were having a spat. I couldn't quite tell what was going on but there was pushing and yelling. In my head I was trying to think of the best way to handle the situation. Should I open with "What's going on here?" What to say... Then it happened. We got to the stop and they all turned to look at me. Then they looked at each other in anger as if to say "This is far from over." I didn't have to say a word. Because I am an adult. I thought about this "adult" business through half my morning. A lot of things are going to have to change. Like: I'm going to have to take a job I hate so I can afford to move out of my parents house. I have pretty much accepted it. But I am not going to do anything drastic like- stop drinking milk strait from the carton. That would just be silly.

No comments: