12/13/2005

Sun Gods and Bug Legs.

I had one of those days today. Those days that start off with me telling my boss "I looked through those folders and the posters are not there." Then she sifts through said folders and finds what I was looking for right where she said it would be. Then I came home to listen to my daughter's reading home work. Which turned out to be a sweet little pagan story about a sun god who created night. Nothing about a big bang, or the rotation of a rock I like to call "earth", much less the mention of um, whatcha call it, ah...GOD. Because everybody knows that the sun created night by pulling a blanket over his head! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?! And what about the stars you say? Glad you asked. They are not flaming balls of gas as one might be mislead by modern astronomy. No, indeed stars were created when a bird poked holes in the blanket trying to find the sun. That my friends is required reading for my Angelbaby who will turn 7 on the 21st. Yes, before you even ask- I did explain to her that the story was total bullshit. Without a doubt, I should have gone to bed at that point. I don't want to talk about it. I'll just leave you with a word of advice. If you find a bug leg in your coffee cup, disassembling the coffee maker is a bad idea. Just throw the machine away and get a new one. Trust me on this one.

1 comment:

Solderjunkie said...

"The Sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace, where hydrogen is fused into helium at temperatures of millions of degrees"
"The sun"
by They Might Be Giants
Facts can be entertaining too.

Folklore and mythology can be enriching for the imagination,and fairytales fun, as long as they're presented as such.

Hope that she has a good enough teacher to keep them in their place with classroom discussion.
......and if not, there's always Momma!