4/03/2005

The Truth

Ok, so I lied. Well not so much with the lying but just skirted around the truth. Ken took precious time out of his day, with his wounded thumb typed out 5 very clever interview questions and I didn't even have the decency to be straight forward. Now the image of Ken shaking his gimpy thumb at me for shame haunts my dreams. Question #3 "If you could re-live any day in your life, which would it be and why?" If you could RE-LIVE any day... RE-LIVE ANY DAY... ANY DAY... ANY DAY... ANY DAY... The thing is, I don't know which day it would be exactly. But I would in fact change something about my past. I would have fought harder when my parents discouraged me from going out of state to college. My original plan was to attend Washington State. Why Washington? Because I wanted as far away from Birmingham as I could get without leaving the country. Then when the time actually came for me to get serious, I had settled on a small college in Idaho. (Don't ask.) As soon as my parents heard Idaho, all hell broke loose. For months I was the black sheep, until finally I gave in. I settled for the less than 3 mile drive to Jefferson State Community College. And I never became an accountant. I didn't become a music teacher either. And though I did manage to get an Associates degree from an "accredited" school, I still cannot call myself an artist. I don't know if it would have made a difference in the end. I think I would have been more likely to finish school with a decent degree if I had been away from Birmingham. Alas, I am alive and well, and I can not say for sure that that would be the case if circumstances back then were different. And that is the truth.

1 comment:

Kenneth said...

You honor my question with a thoughtful reply.

I hope the answer can be catalytic for you.